In the Umbrian countryside, a short distance from Foligno in the province of Perugia, prestigious period villa of 1,800 sqm with annexes and 32.7 hectares of land.
Conveniently located two steps away from Foligno (6km; 10’) the villa is provided with all the necessary services available in the town and allows easily and quickly moving throughout Umbria to visit its most interesting and renowned towns: Montefalco with its prestigious Sagrantino (19km; 20’), the Franciscan shrine of Assisi (20km; 20’), Spoleto (28km; 25’), the Etruscan Perugia (37km; 35’), Terni with its famous steel plants (59km; 50’) and the medieval towns of Gubbio (61km; 50’) and Todi (73km; 1h).
The most convenient airports to reach the property are Perugia Sant’Egidio (30km; 25’), Ancona Falconara (151km; 1h 30’), Roma Ciampino (171km; 2h), Roma Fiumicino (186km; 2h 5’), Firenze Peretola (203km; 2h 10’) and Grosseto Baccarini (212km; 2h 30’).
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The master villa (720 sqm – 7,747 sqft) is laid out onto three floors:
- Ground floor: entrance hall, private chapel, dining room, three sitting rooms, kitchen and bathroom;
- First floor: living room, studio with bathroom two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, two bedrooms and an independent bathroom;
- Second floor: non-habitable lofts, to be used as storage rooms.
Several annexes complete the property: farmer house with stable (740 sqm – 7,962 sqft), cellar (300 sqm – 3,228 sqft), a hunting lodge (45 sqm – 484 sqft) and the former animal recovery (40 sqm – 430 sqft).
STATE AND FINISHES
The façade in the master villa is recognizable by two arched entrances with protruding cornices and spaced out by three oval openings (one of which closed). Near the corners are located two more windows. A protruding stringcourse runs around the whole building. At the top of the entrance archway, carved in stone, one can see the date 1703, probably revealing the year of construction of the villa.
The entrance hall is a long gallery crossing the whole building, façade to rear. This entrance, while perfectly fine and usable, has been replaced by a new one opened on the left side of the building in the years following the construction.
With the exception of this change, the building can still be seen in its original shape, offering a perfect example of a countryside manor.
Once entered the villa, the first room is a covered hallway covered in a segmental barrel vault with beautiful paintings on the wall representing a false architecture framing countryside landscapes.
The family chapel is split by angular lesenes and covered by cloister vaults with painted ribs. A careful analysis allows dating the section to the years 1769-1770. On the floor is embedded a headstone with the date 1868 and the name of one of the owning families.
Through a staircase one can reach the living room on the first floor, decorated with trompe-l’oeil architectures (Corinthian columns supporting a trabeation) framing countryside landscapes.
All the paintings in the villa can be traced back to the second and third decade of the 10th century, with an essentially classical style with notes of that medievalism so appreciated at the time.
As of today, the villa and the annexes need a full renovation before being inhabited.
The property is sold with 32.7 hectares of land, located right around the villa. Right next to the building, a garden has been landscaped (3,000 sqm). The remaining surface is split among olive grove (16.7 ha), arable land (14.5 ha) and woodland (1.2 ha).
USE AND POTENTIAL USES
The villa, historically and architectonically very rich, needs several renovations to express its full potential. The ample size of the property, the presence of multiple annexes and the ample outdoor surface would allow starting a high level hosting business in an extremely convenient location in the Umbrian countryside.