Built in 1851, this Colonial Revival home is #49 on the historic registry and has undergone extensive restoration and remodeling. This Grand Dame is back, looking her best, and ready for modern wine country living.
• 3 Bedrooms (all ensuite), 3.5 Baths • Pool house / Barn • Swimming Pool, Park-like landscaping, Orchard & Vineyards • Approx. 12 acres total, 6.5 planted to Chardonnay • Solar, Natural gas, PG&E • Vineyard and hills views
Although much of the original home was lovingly restored, the back portion of the house was rebuilt adding a new kitchen, family room, bedroom, and expansive back porch. All under the watchful eye of the local historic society. Updates include the foundation, adding electricity and plumbing, restoring floors, moulding, adding 3.5 bathrooms, converting the barn into a poolhouse, swimming pool, and extensive landscaping.
The significance of the “Cooper House”, lies not only in it's beauty, but also the historical figure of the wealthiest man in the county, James Cooper. Born in Scotland, he settled in Sonoma in 1847 and became an owner of the Blue Wing Inn. He received the land from General Vallejo, and died in 1856, with the property remained in the family for 162 years until 2013.
Much of the house remains intact including many of the original furnishings. Classically designed with a center hall and parlors on either side (left parlor has now become the main bedroom). Dining room, kitchen, and family room overlook the pool and vineyards in back. There are two fireplaces, one back to back. Many of the doors and hardware, including the front doors, pocket doors and faux painted interior doors are intact. Beautiful period-appropriate lighting fixtures. The framing is old growth redwood, constructed with mortise and tendon joints, and according to records is the earliest wood frame residence constructed north of San Francisco.
This property is minutes to Sonoma’s historic Plaza with restaurants, shops, and wineries nearby.