On top of a hill in the heart of Umbria, in a panoramic position with view over the Trasimeno Lake, we find this imposing medieval castle. Easily reached and not far from a town providing all the necessary services (5km; 10’), the castle is very close to the E45 motorway junction (4km) and is located halfway between Rome (185km; 2h 25’) and Florence (136km; 1h 40’). The castle is located a short distance from one of the most important racetracks in Italy, the Autodromo dell’Umbria – Mario Umberto Borzacchini, which hosts every year interesting automotive events (among which rallies and endurance races for vintage cars). The proximity to the racetrack opens many possibilities for the castle, which could be converted into a hotel with ample room for events linked to the world of autos. And this bearing in mind that being this close to the E45 motorway would offer the property notable visibility and desirability. The location also allows easily moving throughout the many centers of Tuscany and Umbria: Magione (5km; 10’), Passignano sul Trasimeno (15km; 20’), Perugia (19km; 25’), Umbertide (31km; 40’), the Etruscan hamlet of Cortona (35km; 40’), the Franciscan shrine of Assisi (42km; 40’), Marsciano (46km; 40’), the wine towns of Montepulciano (51km; 50’) and Montefalco (56km; 1h), Todi (60km; 50’), the papal Pienza (67km; 1h), Spoleto (77km; 1h), Orvieto (91km; 1h 25’) and Terni (95km; 1h 10’). The most convenient airports to reach the property are Perugia San Francesco (27km; 30’), Ancona Raffaello Sanzio (131km; 1h 40’), Firenze Vespucci (156km; 1h 40’), Grosseto Baccarini (174km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (199km; 2h 35’), Roma Fiumicino (214km; 2h 40’), Pisa Galilei (216km; 2h 25’) and Bologna Marconi (237km; 2h 30’). DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS, STATE AND FINISHES The complex, castled on top of a hill in the Umbrian countryside, is made up of three separate buildings, for a total of over 3,500 sqm (37,660 sqft). The castle itself has been reworked multiple times over the centuries until it became an imposing fortified countryside dwelling. This building has been interested by a meticulous preservation and consolidation word over the last few years: the roof has been completely revised and remade where necessary, while the interiors are to be finishes with the installation of all the necessary systems (for which the building is ready). The first floor of the building houses some beautifully-decorated and painted halls with original marble floorings. The 19th-century villa, easily recognizable by the arch-windowed turret, is in good structural conditions but the roof needs a full recovery/reconstruction. Interiors are in builder’s finish and systems have not been installed. The complex is served by three access roads branching off the main path uphill. - The road A (west) rides up the last part of the hill, spiraling around the complex and ending up in the small paved square in front of the castle. - The road B (central) is a tree-lined path leading to one of the many entrances passing through a nice small garden. - The road C (east) flanks the other slope of the hills and leads up to a stone archway which opens into a cute alley leading to the paved square of the castle. Just underneath the houses of the castle there is a tunnel (a very narrow and pokey culvert) which was discovered to lead just outside the castle walls. The most plausible explanation is that this tunnel was dug to allow the noble family to quickly abandon the castle in the event of a siege. HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY The area around the castle is rich in history. The oldest traces date back to the Etruscan period and come in the form of funerary urns found amidst the stone walls (probably put there amidst the rocks to save up on materials) and dating back to the 4th century BC. Abandoned under Roman rule, the location acquired a notable defensive role in the 7th century when the Byzantines built a fortress to protect the so-called Byzantine Corridor, a strip of land that connected the Exarchate of Ravenna with Rome. In 997 a first official document declared the donation of the castle, already in place and property of the Carolingian Empire, to Benedictine monks from a monastery near Arezzo. Vicissitudes later, what had at that point become a small hamlet, entered the possession of a rural noble family. Between the 13th and the 14th century the town went through great challenges: initially registered as a castrum (castle), the hamlet was heavily damaged in 1380 and rebuilt as a much simpler countryside villa. Almost a century later (1439), Perugia undertake the costs to rebuild the fortress (so, a castrum again) as a defensive keep against Arezzo. In the following years the property appeared several times in several registries with a generic locus (place) and in 1479 the fortress was once again destroyed during the war between Florence and the State of the Church. In 1495, right when firearms started taking a foothold, the fortress was rebuilt for the last time while upgrading its walls to resist cannon shots. EXTERNAL AREA The land surrounding the castle spans roughly 4.7 hectares: these are split among grazing land (1.1 ha), gardens (0.3 ha) and an olive grove (3.3 ha with 350 trees). The ample gardens and the courtyard surrounding the buildings offer a breathtaking view over the surrounding countryside, with the Trasimeno Lake on the background. USE AND POTENTIAL USES The property, thanks to its size and its beautiful location close to the most beautiful centers of Central Italy, is ideal to start a luxury accommodation business. By refurbishing the building and restoring the beautiful finishes it is possible to create a hotel with over 40 bedrooms and ample halls to be used as breakfast rooms/restaurants.