On the hills of the Sienese countryside, a few kilometers from Radicondoli, the castle of Montingegnoli dominates its surroundings. The imposing estate of the castle covers over 680 hectares of land and accommodated many buildings for a total of 15,500 sqm of livable surface.
The restoration of the buildings would allow creating a luxury boutique hotel (with approximately 90 bedrooms) and several additional residences in its immediate vicinity.
The hotel would also benefit from the vicinity of the most beautiful cities of Tuscany such as Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra and Pisa. Wine-lovers can also reach in roughly an hour and a half the town of Montalcino and Montepulciano.
The most convenient airports are Florence (93km; 1h 15’), Pisa (118km; 1h 45’) and Rome (250km; 3h 20’).
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The property is made up of a beautiful medieval hamlet of Montingegnoli with a castle nestled on top of a hill and ten farmhouses (San Vincenzo, San Andrea, San Gregorio, Podere, San Agresto, Fibiano, Monte, Tremoli, Barluzza, Prato) located in different spots inside the estate.
Dating back to the 12th century, the hamlet is currently abandoned and needs a thorough restoration. A restoration proposal envisaged the realization of a beautiful five-star hotel with approximately 90 bedrooms using the castle, the hamlet and five farmhouses (12,236 sqm in total). The hotel would also include a wellness center, a gym, a sauna, a yoga center, swimming pool, restaurants, bar, a gift shop, a conference hall for events and over a hundred car spots for the guests.
Five other farmhouses (3,164 sqm) can be restored and used as residential units (not necessarily linked to the above-mentioned hotel), each with its own private plot of land.
NOTA BENE: the church in the hamlet (which can be seen at the end of the photo gallery) is not included in the selling price but could be bought with a separate transaction and added to the property. This could become a nice opportunity, one restored, for wedding and events in the estate.
HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY
The castle was built in the early 12th century and in 1156 it was registered as a possession of the powerful Volterranean family Pannocchieschi d’Elci. With Siena’s capitulation in 1555 the castle was incorporated in the newborn Grand Duchy of Tuscany, while remaining a private possession of the Counts d’Elci.
Up until the mid-19th century the hamlet of Montingegnoli was a small almost-self-sufficient town. The hamlet was however quickly declining and if in 1833 it was inhabited by almost 200 people, less than a century later it was completely abandoned.
In the 1970s with the Economic Boom the castle was used for events and celebrations but nowadays the building is totally abandoned.
The impressive estate covers a surface of roughly 683.0 hectares, for the most part covered in mixed woodland (450.0 ha). The remaining surface is covered by arable land (233.0 ha) which could be used to plant a vineyard (several experts suggested a maximum surface of 25.0 ha) and an olive grove (5.0 ha).