On the hills of Valdichiana, with a breathtaking view ranging from the city of Arezzo to the whole underlying valley, we find this organic wine estate with 7.0 hectares of vineyards and modern wine cellar. The estate covers a total of 69.0 hectares which house a restored stone farmhouse with guesthouse, an olive grove (5.0 ha) and a truffle ground (roughly 10.0 ha). The estate currently produces 60,000 bottles of wine per year.
Located a short distance from a town providing all the services (6km; 10’), the estate is well position and allows visiting many of Tuscany’s most famous cities in less than an hour (Arezzo, Castiglion Fiorentino, Cortona, Siena, Montepulciano, Pienza, Florence…).
The closest airport is Florence (90km; 1h) but Perugia, Pisa, Bologna and Rome are easily reached as well.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The buildings of the estate are located a short distance from each other, but are not mutually visible, granting excellent privacy and quiet.
The business center includes a wine cellar (roughly 350 sqm – 3,766 sqft), purposely built to ease working and grant the highest possible production. The facility, built underground for perfect thermal insulation, is made up of wine-making room, ageing room and bottling line.
Right next to the cellar there is a warehouse (110 sqm – 1,184 sqft, built in 2017) used to stock finished products and fitted with a small wine shop.
A canopy (roughly 65 sqm – 699 sqft) allows sheltering vehicles and tools used to take care of the vineyards.
Moving away from the business center, a tree-lined avenue leads to the residential portion of the estate, in a quiet and retired part of the estate.
A two-story stone farmhouse (200 sqm – 2,152 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms), recently restored and finished, is currently used by the owners as a private residence:
- Ground floor: entrance room with pietra serena staircase, kitchen with BBQ, living room with fireplace, dining room and guest bathroom;
- First floor: three bedrooms and ample bathroom with whirlwind tub.
Right next to the farmhouse there is a small guesthouse (85 sqm – 915 sqft, 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom), laid over two floors as well:
- Ground floor: open space living room with dining area and independent kitchen;
- First floor: two bedrooms and bathroom.
A garage (30 sqm – 323 sqft) allows sheltering up to two cars.
The estate covers a total surface of roughly 69.0 hectares. Over half of it is covered by mixed woodland (45.0 ha) with a fenced truffle ground (roughly 10.0 ha in total). The remaining surface includes the IGP vineyards (7.0 ha), an ample olive grove (approximately 5.0 ha with 2,000 trees) and arable land (12.0 ha).
The vineyards are located at different altitudes: the two upper portions (in total 2.0 ha between 500 and 650 m asl) are made up of varieties Pinot Noir (which finds its ideal habitat at such altitudes), Sangiovese and Merlot. Descending towards the valley (roughly 4.3 km of paved road) one gets to the second vineyard (roughly 5.0 ha at 350 m asl), recently planted with varieties Syrah, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Verdicchio, Riesling e Chardonnay.
The vineyards are tended to with rigorously organic methods since 2015 (the estate’s full conversion is still undergoing) and are equipped with an emergency irrigation system.
The olive grove (roughly 5.0 hectares) counts approximately 2,000 trees producing up to 2,000 liters of extra-virgin olive oil per year. It must, however, be taken into account that olive oil production is very sensitive to adverse atmospheric conditions and/or potential illnesses.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
- Vineyard surface: 7.0 hectares (17.3 acres)
- Varieties: Sangiovese, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Verdicchio, Riesling, Chardonnay
- Altitude: 350 – 600 m asl
- Soil composition: mainly sandy
- Yearly production: approx. 60,000 bottles
- Wine stock (as of July 2020): 80,000 bottles + 700 hl cask wine
- Toscana Rosso IGP: Pinot Noir
- Toscana Rosso IGP: Sangiovese
- Toscana Rosso IGP: Syrah, Petit Verdot, Merlot
- Toscana Rosso IGP: Syrah, Petit Verdot, Sangiovese
- Spumante Brut Bianco: Verdicchio, Riesling
- Spumante Brut Rosé: Sangiovese