Shaw is a medium sized village that offers a thriving community centred around Shaw Village Hall, Shaw School and playing fields. The market town of Melksham (approx 1.6 miles away) offers excellent recreational facilities including a gym, swimming pool and sports centre along with a range of pubs, a busy shopping centre and a beautiful parish church. Its position 10 miles south of junction 17 of the M4 on the A350 provides an excellent centre to explore nearby Lacock and Avebury and the attractive towns of Devizes, Bradford on Avon (approx 7 miles, with rail services to London Waterloo and Bristol Temple Meads) and the City of Bath (approx 11 miles, with rail services to London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads). Bristol International Airport is approximately 30 miles north west.
There are various schools nearby in both the state and private sectors, including Stonar, St Mary's Calne and Warminster School.
Shaw house is an exquisite early 18th Century Georgian House that has been transformed by one of the leading designers in the world to create a fabulously rich and textured interior retaining many of the beautiful period features. Originally built in 1711 by a wealthy wool merchant and subsequently extended in 1840 by John Smith.
Located at the end of a straight tree-lined avenue, Shaw House is designed in Classical style and constructed of ashlar stone with a combination of stone and slate roof. The striking facade incorporates 12 pane sashes, a cornice and a central pediment with an oval wreathed oculus along with a parapet with balustrade. It is complimented by a two storey 1840 wing which has a Dutch gable with oculus and urn finials to the parapet. The wing to the right of the front was remodelled in the early 18th century and comprises two storeys with attic.
The accommodation is spacious and free-flowing and includes a wealth of period features including some ornate wood panelling, ceiling cornices and open fireplaces. On the ground floor there is a magnificent entrance hall with parquet floor and fireplace that leads to a panelled dual aspect dining room with wooden floors and feature fireplace. This leads to a morning room which connects to a kitchen breakfast room. On this floor there is also a cloakroom, utility room, boot room, and downstairs bathroom. Stairs from the entrance hall lead down to the 1840's drawing room that has wooden floors, a large fireplace and an attractive ceiling with moulded plaster cornice and rosette features.
The upper floors are accessed from the entrance hall via an impressive wide staircase with barley-sugar turned balusters. The bedroom accommodation comprises two large bedroom suites with en-suite bathrooms and dressing room. Above the drawing room are two large double bedrooms and a bathroom with the potential to create another en-suite. There is a smaller bedroom and bathroom on a lower mezzanine and the top floor attic rooms can be arranged with two or three bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen if so desired.
There are extensive cellars used now as a laundry room but suitable for wine cellars and storage areas.
Surrounding the house are approximately 6� acres of beautifully landscaped gardens and grounds that include delightful walled gardens and various room scapes along with lawn areas and shaded terraces. There is ample parking to the front of the property.
From Bath proceed east on the A4 London Road. At Box, take the right hand fork and travel along the A365 towards Melksham. Go through the village of Atworth and continue into Shaw. As you leave the hamlet of Shaw and after the Shaw Hotel on the right you will see the entrance to Shaw Court on the right.