Parliament Piece is located on the edge of the beautiful village of Ramsbury which sits in the Kennet Valley in the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty close to the Wiltshire/Berkshire border.
The surrounding countryside, with its undulating landscape provides an exceptional setting as well as numerous opportunities for walking and riding.
The village has a number of local amenities including two pubs, various shops, a doctor's surgery and primary school.
The nearby towns of Hungerford and Marlborough offer a wider range of amenities with Hungerford having a direct rail service to London Paddington. There is a Waitrose supermarket in Marlborough and further supermarkets can be found in Newbury, 14 miles away. Ramsbury is located 7 miles from Junction 14 of the M4 providing good road access to Heathrow, London, Bristol and the West Country and the wider motorway network.
There are a wide range of highly regarded preparatory and public schools in the area including Pinewood, Cheam, Farleigh, Horris Hill, Marlborough College, Radley, St. Mary's, Calne and Downe House.
Parliament Piece in an outstanding Grade II* listed house, set in wonderful gardens on the edge of Ramsbury with views over the village and the surrounding countryside. The house dates from around 1620 with the symmetrical front fa�ade understood to be the earliest part. The house was extended in about 1650 with rooms and a staircase added to the north and the entrance moved to face west. Further additions were made in the early 19th Century but in keeping with the early 17th century style. The house was historically known as 'The Rookery' and was given its current name during the Edwardian era. It is in reference to a visit understood to have been made by Oliver Cromwell to the Earl of Pembroke at Ramsbury Manor when Cromwell is said to have held parliament in the grounds of the house.
Under the current owners' careful tenure Parliament Piece has been the subject of an exemplary scheme of renovation and restoration. This has included full re-wiring, a new plumbing and heating system, renewal of all fireplaces, renewal or restoration of all floors and a reconfiguration of numerous rooms with the guidance of Historic England. In addition, there is now a modern Redcare security system with CCTV at the gate and around the house, panic alarms and an integrated audio system. There is a temperature controlled wine room in the cellar.
From London take the M4 heading West. Exit at Junction 14 and take A338 heading South towards Hungerford. At the mini roundabout next to the Total garage turn right towards Hungerford. At the next mini roundabout take the first exit, signposted Marlborough, Salisbury, Swindon. At the next mini roundabout, opposite the Bear Hotel, take the second exit. Take the first right, signposted Swindon B4192. Follow the B4192 as it bends sharply to the right, signposted Chilton Foliat. Continue through Chilton Foliat. Continue on the B4192, following signs for Swindon and Aldbourne. Just after Knighton House on your left, turn left signposted Axford/Ramsbury. Continue into Ramsbury. Turn right next to The Bell pub then head straight over the cross roads on to Back Lane. After approximately 100m you will see a long, high red brick wall on your right. The entrance to Parliament Piece is through black iron gates, on the right hand side, about half way along the wall.