Empingham is a Conservation Village almost midway between the market towns of Stamford (six miles) and Oakham (five miles), to which there are frequent bus services.
The village has an active community with a well-regarded village shop and primary school, along with a doctor's surgery and popular public house.
There are cricket and bowls clubs, whilst Rutland Water is close to the village where one can enjoy sailing, bird watching, fishing, windsurfing or fine walks, among many other activities and interests.
Empingham is a perfect location for excellent private schooling in Oakham, Stamford and Uppingham.
The commute to London Kings Cross, or Cambridge, from Peterborough station (18 miles) is from 50 mins.
A striking listed stone and slate former school, the house was constructed in 1838 by Sir Gilbert Heathcote and later enlarged in 1872 by Baron Aveland. Offering spacious accommodation over two floors with a versatile layout, with two entrances, which in the previous years has facilitated a bed and breakfast enterprise. Currently a much loved home, there are retained period features and charm, coupled with a generous and mature garden of 0.36 acres, ideal for entertaining with lovely views to the parish church.
Arranged over two floors, the accommodation extends to almost 3300 sq ft and is well proportioned throughout, featuring a selection of reception rooms and a number of ancillary rooms to make day to day life easier. The house is entered via an entrance hall with cloakroom/WC onto a 28ft sitting room, adjoining dining room and kitchen with AGA. This leads to a utility room and a snug at the rear with a gas stove. On the opposite side of the house there is a separate entrance onto a bedroom/sitting room, shower room and kitchen which could be easily used as an annex or incorporated into the main accommodation. Upstairs there are four good size double bedrooms, two with en suite facilities, plus a smaller single bedroom/study and a family bath/shower room.
A gated gravel driveway wraps around the front of the house where there is pretty planting to the side, where there is a parking area for several vehicles in front of a detached double garage. The rear garden is sizeable and laid mostly to lawn with mature borders on all sides stocked with bushes, trees, shrubs and flowering plants of various sizes providing seasonal interest and a feeling of seclusion. There are several seating terraces to track the sun, including a raised decking terrace and paved patio with adjoining summerhouse and an area with raised planters and a water feature. From the garden there are lovely views over the neighbouring church.